Striving to be the first climate-neutral continent
Climate change and environmental degradation are an existential threat to Europe and the world. To overcome these challenges, Europe needs a new growth strategy that transforms the Union into a modern, resource-efficient and competitive economy where
- there are no net emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050
- economic growth is decoupled from resource use
- no person and no place is left behind
The European Green Deal is our roadmap for making the EU’s economy sustainable. This will happen by turning climate and environmental challenges into opportunities across all policy areas and making the transition just and inclusive for all.PAGE CONTENTS
The European Green Deal provides a roadmap with actions to
- boost the efficient use of resources by moving to a clean, circular economy
- restore biodiversity and cut pollution.
It outlines investments needed and financing tools available, and explains how to ensure a just and inclusive transition.
The EU will be climate neutral in 2050. To do this, we proposed a European Climate Law turning the political commitment into a legal obligation and a trigger for investment.
Reaching this target will require action by all sectors of our economy, including
- investing in environmentally-friendly technologies
- supporting industry to innovate
- rolling out cleaner, cheaper and healthier forms of private and public transport
- decarbonising the energy sector
- ensuring buildings are more energy efficient
- working with international partners to improve global environmental standards
The EU will also provide financial support and technical assistance to help people, businesses and regions that are most affected by the move towards the green economy. This is called the Just Transition Mechanism and will help mobilise at least €100 billion over the period 2021-2027 in the most affected regions.
- 11 December 2019Presentation of the European Green Deal
- 14 January 2020Presentation of the European Green Deal Investment Plan and the Just Transition Mechanism
- 4 March 2020Proposal for a European climate law to ensure a climate neutral European Union by 2050Public consultation (open until 17 June 2020) on the European Climate Pact bringing together regions, local communities, civil society, businesses and schools
- 10 March 2020Adoption of the European Industrial Strategy, a plan for a future-ready economy
- 11 March 2020Proposal of a Circular Economy Action Plan focusing on sustainable resource use
- 20 May 2020Presentation of the ‘Farm to fork strategy’ to make food systems more sustainable
- 20 May 2020Presentation of the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030 to protect the fragile natural resources on our planet
Measures to protect our fragile ecosystem
Ways to ensure more sustainable food systems
Sustainability in EU agriculture and rural areas thanks to the common agricultural policy (CAP)
Opportunities for alternative, cleaner sources of energy
Ways to ensure more sustainable, more environmentally-respectful production cycles
The need for a cleaner construction sector
Promoting more sustainable means of transport
Measures to cut pollution rapidly and efficiently
Making the EU climate neutral by 2050
- STATEMENT2 June 2020Statement by Commissioner Virginijus Sinkevičius at the press conference on the Common Fisheries Policy in the next MFF
- PRESS RELEASE28 May 2020Commission proposes a public loan facility to support green investments together with the European Investment Bank
- SPEECH28 May 2020Opening Remarks by Executive Vice-President Frans Timmermans at the Press Conference on a Green and Just Recovery
- NEWS27 May 2020Consultation on the renewed sustainable finance strategyStakeholder consultation on the Renewed Sustainable Finance Strategy
Follow the latest progress and get involved.
Communication and roadmap on the European Green DealEnglishDownloadAvailable languages (22)Commission Communication on the Sustainable Europe Investment PlanEnglishDownloadAvailable languages (22)Proposal for a regulation establishing the Just Transition Fund14 January 2020EnglishDownloadAvailable languages (23)Amendments to the Common Provisions RegulationEnglishDownloadAvailable languages (23)Commission proposal for a regulation: European Climate Law04 March 2020EnglishDownloadAvailable languages (23)Commission Proposal for a Decision: A European Year of Rail (2021)04 March 2020EnglishDownloadAvailable languages (23)Publication: A new Circular Economy Action Plan for a Cleaner and More Competitive EuropeEnglishDownloadCommunication: A new Circular Economy Action Plan for a Cleaner and More Competitive Europe11 March 2020EnglishDownloadAvailable languages (22)