Sean Sweeney Ph.D. – writings and media
- Why stopping Eskom’s closures can be good for both unions and the environment, Amandla! Magazine (South Africa), May 2017
- Pandering to the Predator: Labor and Energy Under Trump, New Labor Forum, Feb 3, 2017
- Standing Rock Solid with the Frackers: Are the Trades Putting Labor’s Head in the Gas Oven?, TUED, October 2016
- Corporations Call for ‘Net Zero’ Emissions: Do They Know How to Get There?, New Labor Forum, August 2016
- Contested Futures: US Labor After Keystone XL New Labor Forum, May, 2016
- Corbyn’s Class Act is a Climate Game Changer, New Labor Forum, December 17th, 2015
- Climate Challenges and Trade Union Responses, European United Left/Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL) In cooperation with Trade Unionist Network Europe (TUNE), Presentation with text and visuals, November 18, 2015.
- Memorandum or Grexit: What are the implications for the future of Greece’s energy system?, July 24, 2015
- Green Capitalism Won’t Work published in New Labor Forum, Spring, 2015
- Alberta election shock: More evidence that ‘class and climate’ politics can win? Trade Unions for Energy Democracy bulletin, May 10, 2015; for Spanish, click here.
- Syriza can show ‘another energy is possible.’ New Government in Greece is committed to ‘ecological transformation’ TUED website, February 18, 2015; for Spanish, click here.
- Earth to Labor: Economic growth is no salvation New Labor Forum, February 28, 2012
WORKING PAPERS SERIES Trade Unions for Energy Democracy (TUED)
- Resist, Reclaim, Restructure: Unions and the Struggle for Energy Democracy, click here for English and here for Spanish (TUED framing document)
- #1, Global Shale Gas and the Anti-Fracking Movement: Union Perspectives and Approaches, click herefor Spanish.
- #2, Climate Change and the Great Inaction: New Trade Union Perspectives, here for Spanish.
- #3 Energy Democracy in Greece: Syriza’s Program and the Transition to Renewable Power.
- #4 Power to the People: Toward Democratic Control of Electricity Generation, (co-authored)
- #5 The Hard Facts About Coal: Why Trade Unions Should Re-evaluate Their Support for Carbon Capture & Storage
- #6 Carbon Markets After Paris: Trading in Trouble
- #7 An Illness to One is the Concern of All: The Health Impacts of Rising Fossil Fuel Use (co-authored with Svati Shah)
- #9 Energy Transition: Are We Winning? (Is the Word Really Moving Away From Fossil Fuels?) (co-authored with John Treat)
- Unions call for democratic control of energy as IPCC warns of “widespread and profound impacts” of climate change November 7, 2014
- Jobs, Health, Methane: Supplementary report on fracking May 13, 2014
- 577 Billion Ways Extreme Weather and Extreme Energy Are Connected February 15, 2014
- Fracking: Union opposition is growing in Canada, Europe and Latin America, November 29, 2013
- When Fighting to Save a Coal Plant is Absolutely the Right Thing to Do September 8, 2013
- Fossil Fuels will Dominate Global Energy System Beyond 2040 August 4, 2013
- Solar Eclipsed? PV’s Global “Shake Out” Calls for a Public Sector Approach to Renewable Power July 3, 2013
ON VIDEO, RADIO & PODCAST
- Winning Clean Energy and Climate Justice for All – People’s Summit, Chicago, June 10, 2017
- Video Presentation to Eco Conference – New Zealand, August 2016. Climate Justice Aotearoa
- Energy Democracy Rising, (Video) Bridge to the Future Conference, Oslo, Norway, February 17, 2016
- Jeremy Corbyn and Naomi Klein: A Conversation with Trade Unions, Paris, France, December 7th, 2015; click here
- Podcast Interview, People’s World, on Unions and the Paris Climate Talks, COP 21, click here
- Presentation on fracking, GMB International Conference on Fracking, Blackpool, UK, January 30, 2015, click here.
- Pipe Dreams: Labor Researchers Say Keystone XL Project May Kill More Jobs than it Creates, interview with Amy Goodman, Democracy Now , December 12, 2014, click here.
- Unions Confronting the Climate Crisis (with Jeremy Brecher), EqualTimeRadio, click here
- A Global Climate Treaty: Why the US Must Lead, Panel with UN Special Envoy Mary Robinson, former President of the Republic of Ireland; Society for Ethical Culture, New York, September 20, 2014, click here.
- New Initiatives to Really Confront the Climate Crisis: Trade Unions for Energy Democracy, Clearing the Fog radio, July 2014, click here.
- Trade Unions and Extending Solidarity to the Ecosystem, interview with Laura Flanders, Grit.tv, full transcript and video interview published on Truthout, December 10, 2013, click here.
- Conflicting Agendas: Energy Democracy and the Labor Movement in Energy Democracy: Advancing Equity in Clean Energy Solutions, edited by Denise Fairchild and Al Weinrub, Island Press 2017
- Working Towards Energy Democracy, in State of the World 2014: Governing for Sustainability, The Worldwatch Institute
- US Trade Unions and the Challenge of ‘Extreme Energy’ Chapter 15, Trade Unions in the Green Economy: Working for the Environment, Nora Rathzel (ed.), Routledge Press, 2013
- The Impact of Tar Sands Pipeline Spills on Employment and the Economy, Cornell University Global Labor Institute Research Paper, March 2012. (Co-authored)
- Pipe Dreams: Jobs Gained, Jobs Lost in the Construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline, Cornell University Global Labor Institute Research Paper, September 2011 (Co-authored)
- Transport Workers and Climate Change: Towards Sustainable, Low-Carbon Mobility, document for the World Congress of the International Transport Workers Federation, Mexico City, August 2010 (co-authored)
- Green Jobs: Towards Decent Work in a Sustainable, Low-Carbon World, United Nations Environment Report, with ILO/ITUC/IOE, September 2008 (co-authored)
- The Climate Crisis and the Threat to Human Health Global Nurses United, Sept. 26, 2014, Las Vegas
- Conference, A Europe in Crisis, A Europe Without Jobs, European United Left/Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL) In cooperation with Trade Unionist Network Europe (TUNE) European Parliament, Brussels, April 10-11, 2014
- Presentation to the International Conference on Building a Socially-Owned Renewable Energy Sector, National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA), Johannesburg, SA, February 2012.
- European Trade Union Confederation Youth Conference, Brussels, “Extending Solidarity to the Ecosystems” September 2013
*available from the author; please email email@example.com[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]